The last thing I posted on this blog was about Bob Dylan’s Nobel win. That was more than a year ago. When the newest laureate was minted, my interest in books was revived. Kazuo Ishiguro is a favorite writer, and as much as I hate to be superstitious about it, he brought me back to books whereas Dylan put a stop to all of my reading endeavors.
Hi. I’ve been both looking forward and dreading this moment. The thought of going back to blogging excites me but I’m not sure if I still know how to do this. A few weeks ago, I’ve come up with a draft that I thought was worthy of a comeback entry but it was all mentally scrawled. Yeah, and I don’t remember what it was about. I just have these tiny feelings of eloquence. Blame it on distractions. I was sidetracked by the idea of revamping this blog. In fact, I have renamed the blog to something else. After a week of checking out my WordPress app, the name didn’t feel right. So there, I brought back my original blog name (I now think it’s an obnoxious name that doesn’t bite) and just decided to continue from where I stopped.
If you still remember me, perhaps you’re interested to know what I’ve been up to for the last 13 months? Here are 13 things that I’ll try to relay in chronological order:
- Our book club’s Christmas party revealed that my reading was at rock-bottom when nobody wanted to pair with me for the 2017 bingo challenge. I did manage to be paired with a wonderful reader (she reads books at Penguin Random House) but we weren’t in it for the win.
- After more than a decade, I met a boyfriend. I met my boyfriend. I have a boyfriend. I don’t how to put it but I hope you get what I mean.
- I went to the beach during my birthday weekend. It was my best friend’s treat. Okay, it’s just another beach trip, nothing extraordinary. It’s just that I haven’t really traveled for the past couple of years so now that I think of it, it feels like a special event.
- I’m trying to learn the tarot. I’m still a noob.
- I was given my first niece, but only for a few hours. Brought to the world three months too early.
- I moved to a new apartment with the boyfriend and my youngest sister. I like it here better because it’s more accessible to key places unlike the previous apartment. Also, it’s cooler (i.e. not too hot) and safer.
- I finally quit RPG mobile games, the biggest competition of my reading time.
- My biological father was diagnosed with stage IV prostate cancer.
- And my middle sister was diagnosed with stage IIIB colon cancer. These two make me fucking paranoid.
- So I’ve quit smoking. It’s very recent, like more than a week ago.
- I haven’t really read anything aside from the books of the month assigned by our book club.
- I don’t remember the last time I bought a book. It’s easy for me to blame the reading rut, but now that I think about it, space is also a factor. Not enough shelves. Also, I’m trying to pay all my debts ASAP.
- I missed you a lot. I’m a terrible blogger, I know.
And here I am, thinking of going back to reading and blogging and journalling and watching films and listening to podcasts and oh, I guess I should pace myself.
So first, reading. I’ve been stacking books that I want to read in 2018 since Ishiguro won. I’m prioritizing books given to me as gifts. So, if you’ve given me a book, please remind me! My memory isn’t that good anymore, and most of my books are in boxes. A terrible shame, I know, but I must first win the lottery for a spacious mansion before all my books could lounge and breathe.