Here are the books that I got over the 2013 holidays.
- The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z. Danielewski – 50% off. And because I like touching and scanning Danielewski’s books. (Php 520.00, November 29, Fully Booked – Rockwell)
- The Bibliophile’s Devotional by Hallie Ephron – I got this because I was a badass student at TFG Hogwarts. Thanks! (From Alexa, December 21)
- The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick – “Theory for happy ending. Life’s perspective. Book turned to movie as Phil Wenneck meets Katniss Everdeen.” That’s the description sent by the giver but for the life of me, I didn’t get it (because I didn’t know who that Wenneck guy is). I just heard others saying the title. No regrets though. I love the movie. Thanks! (From Aenna through The White Elephant Exchange, December 21)
- Indignation by Philip Roth – Because it’s hard to abandon a book. Thanks! (From Bennard through The Book Pile, December 21)
- Cain by José Saramago – Oi, I must go back to reading Saramago. Thanks! (From Maria through The Owlery, December 21)
- Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol – Something to add to my scant collection of NYRB Classics. Thanks! (From Bennard through The Owlery, December 21)
- Maggie Cassidy by Jack Kerouac – I got this because I am supposed to hate it? Thanks! (Gift from Ella through The Owlery, December 21)
- The Way to Paradise by Mario Vargas Llosa – I got this because? Thanks! (Gift from Jonathan, January 1)
This year’s book hoarding “resolution”: I’m going to focus on NYRB Classics. I know I’ve been saying this since August. But what can I do? The titles that I want are hard to find. My interest was refueled when a new bookish friend recommended The Mountain Lion by Jean Stafford and Riders in the Chariot by Patrick White. Also, A Month in the Country by J. L. Carr was recommended to me for my writing project. I hope I could find them three, and some of the 60+ others in my NYRB wish list.
And oh, thanks for all the book covers, bookmarks, cards, CDs, DVDs, eco bags, erasers, food, notepads, planners, and shower creams (?) that I got. You know who you are. :)