I do not know if it would make any sense to post a reading plan for this month because I have only finished one book for July and I am only adding one new entry. Shame, shame. But for the sake of keeping up with this monthly post, here we go.
The Left Stack (books I want to read soon and books I need to read soon):
- The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis – from June.
- The History of Love by Nicole Krauss – from July.
- House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski – from May.
- A Lover’s Discourse by Roland Barthes – from May.
- On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan – from July.
- Steps by Jerzy Kosinski – from July.
- Tall Story by Candy Gourlay – our book of the month.
- Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? by Raymond Carver – from July.
The Right Stack (books I have finished and books I have yet to finish):
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – from June. Currently on page 191.
- Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace – from May. Currently on page 258.
- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo – from January. Currently on page 359.
- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez – from July. 3 out of 5 stars.
I have to confess something. I am not good at reading multiple books concurrently. So what I intend to do is that I’m going to finish all the books that I am currently reading. Yes, that includes Les Miserables. It’s most likely that you’ll see the same set of books every first of the month, unless I manage to finish all of them this month. Then I’ll go back to monogamous reading.
And yeah, I’ll be on vacation next week. I am not going anywhere though; it’s just that I managed to get a short break before I start on my new job. If you really want to know, tomorrow is going to be my last day with my current employer. At the moment of typing, the music blasting from my earphones is Keane’s Leaving So Soon; I’ve been here for 25 months. It was fun, but I think I should try doing something else.
Anyway, the short interim period gives me time to finish Great Expectations and to catch up on Infinite Jest (and Les Miserables). I am excited to just lie on my bed and read and reset myself.