Look here! It’s been a while since I had a moderate stack of books.
- The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro – I was not supposed to buy a copy of this since I already read it and I have a much loved trade paperback of it. However, when I saw this blog post from my bookish friend, I got so jealous that I went to the nearest book store after office and inquired where I could find a striped edition of this book. And oh, I’m on a mission to collect those stripes. (June 18, 2012. NBS Bestsellers – Galleria. Php 549.00)
- Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller – I nearly screamed and sputtered profanities when I saw this one. Not that it’s such an important book, but it is a very uncommon early Pulitzer winner. Its claim is that had it not won the Pulitzer back in the 30s, Gone with the Wind might never have been published. How true? (June 22, 2012. Book Sale – Makati Square. Php 50.00)
- House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday – I already have a copy of this but I hate it because of all the highlighted text. But there’s one thing worse than highlighted text, and that is multi-colored highlighters, which makes you wonder if the previous owner thought of the book as a wordhunt puzzle or a coloring book. Anyway, my new copy is clean and not a single word is highlighted. (June 22, 2012. Book Sale – Makati Square. Php 75.00)
- Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson – I’ve always been curious about Guterson and the PEN/Faulkner award winners. They seem pretty good compared with the NBA winners. I have not yet decided whether I should start collecting them as well or not, but when I saw this super cheap and very good copy, I just went ahead and bought it. (June 23, 2012. Book Sale – SM Megamall. Php 25.00)
- Home by Marilynne Robinson – I was dusting my shelf and looking for books that I’d like to read for July when I saw that my existing copy of this has a major crease at the front cover. I went a little ballistic because I can’t have a Robinson book with a crease at the front cover. The next day, I went hunting for it and luckily, I found a super cheap and creaseless copy. (June 25, 2012. Book Sale – Makati Square. Php 25.00)
And here are freebies from friends during our book discussion last June 23, 2012:
- Small Memories by Jose Saramago – This is given as a token of Atty. Monique’s appreciation for my guesting at her blog’s regular feature, The Spark Project. I wanted to have a Saramago book from her because Saramago is, as you may have known, my literary grandfather. And I just love the front and back covers!
- The Stranger’s Child by Alan Hollinghurst – Again, this is from my book buddy. Isn’t she such a valuable friend? I asked her to pre-order this one for me at Book Depository, and that meant piggybacking on her card. We agreed that I’ll pay for it once it arrives, but she won’t let me when she gave it to me. Of course, I knew right from the start that she won’t. I’m just kidding! Thanks a lot, Buddy!
- The Appointment by Herta Muller – This one is from Ayban, the same friend who gave me The Land of Green Plums last Christmas. I’m really glad that I haven’t bought this yet because I was really tempted to right after we finished reading The Land of Green Plums. Thanks, Ayban!