I noticed last week that most Book Sale branches were displaying new books, so yes, I went through five cities visiting some of my favorite stores. Unfortunately, since I am becoming a terribly picky shopper, I wasn’t able to haul as much as I backpack can hold. Let me just clarify that I did not do the shopping all at once. I still have my work and my other worries in life to attend to.
At Robinson’s Manila (April 25):
- Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris – I trust Time Magazine too much that I am also collecting its 10 best novels of the decade. This is one of them. It looks like a fun book, probably set in an office, but really, I never cared about plot summaries. Php 115.00.
- Complete Sonnets of William Shakespeare – I’ve been meaning to read Shakespeare, particularly those No Fear Shakespeare books. Look, I can’t pretend to understand his verse, so I might as well help myself by reading those. They have the original and simplified texts, so it really isn’t cheating, right? And how about his poems? What do I have to say about them? Php 25.00
- Lyric Poems of John Keats – It was seated beside Shakespeare so I also picked it up. Php 25.00
At Makati Square (April 26):
- The Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst – I almost fainted when I saw this. I deeply regret the time when I passed on this one last year. I haven’t read Hollinghurst back then, so you can’t really blame me. And after having read his Booker winner also last year, I had this urgency to read all his novels. Php 115.00.
- The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens – My second Dickens. I haven’t read him yet, shame on me. I will try my best to insert a Dickens books next year. Php 115.00.
At SM Mall of Asia (April 26):
- The Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen – It’s been so long since I last saw a copy of this. My first copy, a mass market edition, was destroyed by termites, so yes, you can just imagine my relief when I saw this trade paperback. A sort of resurrection it must be. Php 115.00.
At Farmer’s Plaza – Cubao (April 28):
- The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen – Finally! I’ve been looking for a nice copy of this, but since I always see copies of this at random stores, I always postponed my purchase of this. And when I noticed that I haven’t been seeing a lot of these lately, I nearly panicked. Good thing this copy that I found is in very good condition. Php 75.00
I also visited the following Book sale branches: SM Megamall (April 24), Starmall (April 24), Pedro Gil (April 25), Cityland (April 27), Shopwise – Cubao (April 28), Walter Mart – Munoz (April 28), SM North Edsa (April 28), and Alphaland South Gate Mall (April 28). That’s a dozen branches in less than a week! I forgot to visit one branch, or probably I didn’t bother because I was too tired. I guess I’m not that obsessive, huh?