Just in case you want to find out a little something about me, here are ten random things.
01. I’m Angus, and yes, that’s my real name. I gave up anonymity long ago because strange people recognize me even at gay social networking sites. I am not named after a steak or a Celtic god, but the latter would have been wonderful. I was named after AC/DC’s Angus Young. And no, I don’t listen to them.
02. I’m on Facebook and Twitter but I don’t accept “friends” or “followers” from just anyone. I used to accept requests from acquaintances, classmates, and schoolmates, but I also gave that up. I’m also Goodreads, the social networking site where I am found during my Internet dawdling time. That’s where I accept “friend” requests from random people.
03. I blog about books because I realized that I am not a celebrity and that blogging about myself would not do me good. Why would a random surfer want to find out the details of my so-called life unless he’s a retard? Not that my life is boring, but if my friends are all the readers that I can get, I’d rather go out with them and talk all day, all night.
04. Which means my old blog is Waned World 3. Which is practically dead.
05. I am currently a technical writer but that does not mean I am very good at writing. I know the job title can be a little intimidating, but really, there’s nothing much to it. I did aspire to be a creative writer, and maybe I still aspire to be one.
06. I share a condo unit with college friends and office mates in Mandaluyong City. Wondering why I am not with my family? I am originally from Angeles City. No, I don’t go home on a regular basis because I end up overspending when I’m with my family. And they won’t let me read.
07. Aside from books and blogging, I like movies that render me senseless because they require a lot of sense. I like music that is baroque, depressing, poetic, or a backdrop to a beauty pageant or fashion show. I appreciate art that is rough and surreal. I don’t watch a lot of TV because I don’t have a TV.
08. I auditioned as a castaway for the first season of Survivor: Philippines because I used to be a huge fan of the US series. Fortunately, I was not accepted. I said fortunately because I might have skipped on the last year of my college and I would have been a celebrity. Anyway, I reached the VTR part of the audition where a panel of guys record a video of you while answering this question: why should we take you in? And unfortunately, my VTR was inserted in a video montage of auditioneers during the season finale.
09. I also have a cameo appearance at the indie film Serbis, directed by Brillante Mendoza, where I volunteered as a production assistant. I didn’t realize years later that the end credits billed me as a gay patron.
10. And yes, I am gay, just in case you are too dense to realize that.