Here’s a round-up of my Book Sale tours for the first dozen days of March.
March 6, 2012: Book Sale – Alphaland South Gate Mall
- Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich (Php 20.00) – I already have this, but this cheap trade paperback is welcome to replace my battered mass market. Which is, by the way, gathering moss at my friend’s shelf up there, in Baguio City.
- World’s Fair by E. L. Doctorow (Php 20.00) – I know, this is a mass market edition that I will want to replace anytime I find a cheap trade paperback. But I just can’t seem to buy one book after having spent an hour and a half at the book store. Besides, Doctorow is a nice writer. His Ragtime was a revelation, although I am not too crazy about it.
March 6, 2012: Book Sale – SM Mall of Asia
- Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White (Php 45.00) – Surprise! Oh well, the goose, or duck, got me. Honk honk!
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Php 75.00) – I have recently read this, I know. But this edition is too beautiful to ignore. Minimalist cover design, sharp edges, and fresh smell. This one is not for me because I can’t replace the edition that I have, which was given to me by a friend. So yes, I am giving this away. Please ask nicely if you want this edition.
March 8, 2012: Book Sale – Makati Square
- Beginner’s Kakuro by Michael Mepham (Php 75.00) – I like puzzles, but I haven’t tried this. Kakuro should be challenging. Oh yes, it is! I tried the first puzzle. It has a “gentle” difficulty level. It took me two hours to finish it.
- Secret Lives of Great Composers by Elizabeth Lunday Php (45.00) – I like classical music. And the cover has a funny comic book-esque illustrations of Beethoven smashing a chair, Stravinsky conducting a riotous orchestra, and Glass driving a cab. Wait, who is Glass? I don’t know, but this book is not bad. I am thinking of reading it to take breaks from books that might bore me.
Really, what am I buying? Please don’t judge me.